Welcome!!

My name is Dominique Weldon, I am a teenager from Iowa, who happens to be an aspiring author. I'm determined to make it, and plan on sharing my thoughts and process along the way with the rest of you guys!! I know we can do it!!:D

Welcome to my writer's diary<3

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Art Appreciation

...is the 7x7 class I'm taking over winter break. Basically, you have a class for a week, seven days straight, seven hours straight. Yeah, sounds long, huh? I'm taking Art Appreciation. I figured why not, considering I like looking at art and I like making art. I figured this would be a breeze, asides the fact that it's seven-hours-straight.

Let me just say...I love this class.

Before I go too much further, I'm sure some of you are wondering why the heck am I talking about art; after all, this is my writing blog, where I write about...writing. Well, creative writing is art, but that's not why I'm talking about this class. Actually, the reason why I'm posting about it is for a simple, small reason.

When the class first started, she asked everyone a few questions about ourselves. The same question she asked everyone was, "What is your major?" Well, I'm always close to the end when it comes to these types of things-Weldon, W...normally towards the end. When she finally came to me, she asked me the same question. I replied with, "English." That's when she looked at me and smiled. Not even wasting a moment, she continued with, "Creative Writing?"

Then lights from the snowy heavens shinned upon me.

I get asked this all the time: "What's your major?" and "What do you want to do after school?" Well, I always tell them that I'm going for English. Now, I can't get too mad about their assumptions, but it's how they react to my answer. Most people think I'm going there to become a teacher, which is the next thing they respond with. When I tell them creative writing, novelist they immediately go, "Oh..." Why isn't being a writer considered a true job. I don't think I should be looked down upon simply because my career choice isn't traditional in the least. Due to this, when somebody comes up to me now, I simply agree with whatever they say, just to save myself some heartache.That's why when this teacher said creative writing, she was instantly on my good side.

The moral of my story... I'm not so sure. I guess I would simply restate that writing is a real job as well. It might not have constant hours, or a constant income or anything else of that sort...but you know what, it's still the air to my lungs and the reason I'm here today.

2 comments:

  1. Writing is definitely a real job! I don't know why people don't understand that. It's everywhere! If it wasn't a career, then it wouldn't be offered in schools. Do what you love & love what you do! Nobody should put you down because your studying something you love. I think it's the only way to live a satisfied life. =) I'm so happy that your following your passion. It's good to follow your dreams and what your true heart desires. If you put your heart into anything with some dedication and optimism then you will go far. It's the same for any type of major. I definitely believe in that. =) Be proud of your major! Never give up and soar high into the sky my friend! <3 =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, thank you!!!! XD Yes, I feel the same way, but since it's not in an office, people don't think it should count. That's fine with me, because I'll love my job and they can be miserable with theirs. And thank you, more encouragement to keep writing >:D

    <3

    ReplyDelete